I Forgot to be Retired!

Late in March, Tanya, over at Our Next Life ran a couple of posts about using the term “retirement” honestly.  If you continue to make some money on the side, through blogging or other means, are you truly “retired?”  Tanya makes some good points about being honest with young people, who may get the impression that if they just save, they can retire early and presto…everything will be both hunky and dory!

As I mentioned in a post long ago, I had friends who told me, “You didn’t retire…you just quit.” , So when we met with our financial adviser last month, I asked her if she considered us retired, even though we continue to make some money.  Here’s what she said:

If you don’t NEED to make money…If you can live comfortably on your retirement income (pensions) and investments,
then YES…YOU ARE RETIRED!

She went on to say that if we continue to pursue other activities which we enjoy, and by chance make a little cash on the side, well, that’s just the icing on the cake.  We can pick and choose how we spend our time (another element of retirement.)

But here’s the rub…

In my little side hustle, I do some administrative support gigs for a few clients.  Document production, organization management, event coordination – things like that.  They are jobs that I can generally do from anywhere, on my own schedule.

Except that I forgot to pace myself…I kept saying, “Sure, I can help you with that!”  And before you know it, I was missing from my blog.  For almost a month.  Because I had work to do…..

Almost like a real job!   Ewwwwwwwwww!  Enough of that nonsense.  I’m retired!  Remember?

Lynn

26 thoughts on “I Forgot to be Retired!

1. footloosefogeys

You can never have enough money tucked away. And you can never have enough time to spend it all. As the years go by, invest more of your time in spending the money on all those things you have been meaning to do, if you ever got the time.

Liked by 2 people

2. scr4pl80

I’m collecting Social Security but I don’t consider myself retired since I still am doing my medical transcription. I tried working for six months at Michaels to see if I could hold out until 66 but I just couldn’t do it. Semi-retired is what I call myself.

Liked by 1 person

3. RetirementallyChallenged.com

I’ve always felt that if you CHOOSE to work, not because you need the money but because there are elements you enjoy, than you can call yourself retired. Both my husband and I thought we might dabble in consulting work once we retired (there were multiple opportunities from where we retired from and from people/businesses we dealt with while working) but, once we settled into our retirement, we decided that we enjoyed not working too much. It can be difficult to switch from acquiring and hoarding mode to spending mode, but we are getting better… and having a lot of fun.

Liked by 2 people

4. patwdoyle11

Same thing happened to me last May. And I didn’t like it. In November, life circumstances “encouraged me” to stop all work, completely. I needed to focus energy elsewhere. I’ve yet to pick anything consulting-wise back up…and in fact am beginning to wonder if I will! I’m liking this feeling of (almost) complete freedom everyday.

Liked by 1 person

5. Retirement Reflections

Glad to see you back again, Lynn. I like your Financial Advisor’s definition of ‘retirement.’ And I love the endless variety of options and choices that retirement brings. When I was planning my retirement, I thought I might work a little on the side. But the moment that I actually retired, that desire quickly faded.

Liked by 2 people

6. Shallow Reflections

Okay, I could retire financially, but chose to continue to work two days a week, so I am going to declare myself retired! And luckily no one is asking me to work ‘extra’ or I’d probably say yes. Glad to see you are back, Lynn.

Liked by 1 person

7. karen@profoundjourney.com

I spent my first year after retirement spending as if I hadn’t retired. It took me some time to come to grips with the idea that I was retired. I thought for a while that I’d do work of some other kind, but it has been 3 years now and I’m no longer interested in paid employment. I’ve got way too much living to do!

Liked by 1 person

8. Liesbet @ Roaming About

Haha! Yes, you are kind of retired. But, as long as you enjoy what you’re doing… Right? Saying “no” is not an easy thing to do, I know from experience, and from reading about it on a fellow blogger’s website recently. 🙂

Here is another interesting tidbit, to me anyway. The more money you make, the more taxes you pay… It might sound weird, but we felt much more comfortable making minimum wage and not paying any taxes (apart from self-employment tax), then working harder, making a little bit more money, and ending up giving it to the government. Which, I know from Janis’s blog and from experience, uses it wisely. It’s a mental thing…

Liked by 1 person

1. Encore Voyage Post author

…oh I hear you! We are now in a delicate balancing act – being careful not to make “too much!” Maybe it’s better to just put our feet up and relax! ~ Lynn

9. Shelley

Who needs labels? You are living your life, doing what you want when you want. Now, having said that, I confess that I occasionally tell people I,m a “lifestyle manager”. Of course, the only lifestyles I manage are mine and my husband’s, but that’s a full time job. 😉

Liked by 1 person

1. Encore Voyage Post author

I LOVE that! “Lifestyle Manager” – I am sooooooo gonna steal that phrase! And I’m gonna start managing a little more relaxation in the future! Thanks, Shelley! ~ Lynn

10. Andrea Jones

Not yet at “retirement” age, but close enough to be trying to figure out what the concept will mean in our household. I’m in the interesting position of being a freelancer (back-of-the-book indexer), which I envision keeping doing as long as it’s still fun and interesting. Glad I found you blog, looking forward to reading more.

Liked by 1 person

1. Encore Voyage Post author

As a virtual administrative assistant, I understand the concept of “the world is flat.” I checked out your blog today. I never realized that indexing was NOT done by computer! I can’t even imagine how daunting that task must be! (I imagine there is a system.) Hubs and I have struggled with the definition of retired – We imagine we’ll continue to do something a long time! But that’s OK! It’s all about reinvention! ~ Lynn

Liked by 1 person

Comment on the Voyage!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s