#JusJoJan Day 4 ~ Are You “Passionate?”

I’m not sure why, but this concept of Just Jot It January has intrigued me.  Each day, there is a one-word prompt, and participants are encouraged to just jot something down in response.  Well, today’s word is “Passionate,” and when I saw it, visions of my dad came sharply to mind.  You see, my daddy had this saying:

“Find someone who is passionate about what they do,
and they’ll always do a good job for you.”

As I have grown older, I have come to understand the truth of what he said.  It doesn’t matter whether the person is your banker or the guy who shoes your horses – if he is passionate about his work, that work most likely will be of quality.

It was easy to tell that our builder was passionate about what he was doing as he lovingly rubbed his hands over the wood.  The guy who repairs our appliances is so proud of having built his family owned business with his sons.  It’s not about the money being made or the importance of position.  It’s about the love of the task.

I’m curious.  Do you tend to hire people who are passionate?  Do you surround yourselves with passionate people?  Are you passionate in your own pursuits? Leave a comment and share your thoughts!

Lynn

19 thoughts on “#JusJoJan Day 4 ~ Are You “Passionate?”

1. jetgirlcos

I agree with your dad. That is a great saying. I am passionate about the things I do, and I love to be surrounded by people who are passionate about what they do as well. I definitely want to do business with passionate business owners. That’s why I love small businesses, I guess. When there is a certain pride in showing you what they make or do, that makes me want to patronize that business!

Liked by 1 person

2. J-Dub

Agree!
    “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” ~ Howard Thurman

Liked by 1 person

3. travelswithfran

I wholeheartedly agree with that saying. Not only do I look for people who are passionate about what they do, I keep those kinds of people as a collection so that I can revisit with them. We did a renovation a few years back and I find I can contact them for other jobs now that that renovation is behind us.

Liked by 1 person

4. Dan Antion

We don’t hire many people, but I do look for people who are passionate about technology, because that means they are likely to stay on top of things as they change. Plus, they build the best solutions.

Liked by 1 person

5. www.retirementreflections.com

Hi, Lynn – Your father sounds like a very wise man. I love to watch people who do their job exceptionally well (regardless of what the job is). The ‘passion piece’ makes sense here. It is a beautiful thing to witness!

Liked by 1 person

6. Joe

As a father myself with two young-adult daughters, I have boiled my advice to them down to “do what motivates you”. I think that if you do what you are motivated (i.e., passionate) about, you will be happy and successful, no matter what it is (as long as its legal).

Liked by 1 person

7. Liesbet

Wise words. When it comes to hiring people, we are a bit different than most, probably, since we don’t have a house. In our sailboat and our camper, we fixed most everything ourselves – it is cheaper, you learn from it, and you know it is done right, or at least the way you want it. We trust ourselves and found it hard in the past to hire people all over the world who knew their craft or were passionate about it. Sorry, but that is/was reality for us.

While I’d love to hire people that are passionate about their job, when we need a tricky car repair, we are stuck to a garage in the place we are traveling or house sitting at that moment. We research places online and rely on the reviews more than on the passion of the mechanics.

Liked by 1 person

Comment on the Voyage!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s